Plumbing for Frozen Pipes & Water Lines
Plumbers Serving Boerne, Fair Oaks Ranch, & the Texas Hill Country
Call Us for Help with Frozen Pipes And Water Lines
Did you know that a frozen pipe or water line that has burst is one of the most common causes of property damage during the winter months? A burst pipe can cause thousands of dollars in water damage to your home or business. If you have no water or it’s trickling out of the faucet after a frigid night, it is likely a frozen pipe or worse.
Call Olde Town Plumbing at 830-446-5227
A certified master plumber will come out and assess the situation. We will thaw your pipes and make sure none have ruptured. If we find a burst pipe, we have the skills and knowledge to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
Save yourself the aggravation and cost of damage caused by frozen pipes or water lines.
Call us today!
Commonly Asked Questions for Frozen Plumbing
At what temperature can pipes freeze?
Your pipes are at risk of freezing if the outside temperature falls below 32 degrees.
How long does it take for pipes to freeze?
Pipes most often freeze overnight when temperatures dip. Pipes can freeze in as little as 4-5 hours, especially if your pipes are unprotected. Also, while wind chill alone won’t cause pipes to freeze, it can speed up the freezing process if the wind is circulating the freezing temperatures around the pipes and moving away the warmth.
Exposed Pipes May Burst as They Freeze or Thaw
Pipe during a Hard Freeze
Leak Appears During Thaw
Pipe Needs Immediate Repair
Will my pipes thaw as the temperature rises above freezing?
It will have to warm up outside to temperatures above freezing for an extended period. It may take up to 6 hours. Be aware though that the melted water can refreeze if precautions are not taken to protect your pipes. Pipes can burst not only when they freeze, but also after they thaw causing extensive damage.
What pipes are more at risk?
All pipes and water lines are at risk of freezing, but the pipes most at risk are the pipes in unheated areas of your home – particularly pipes in the attic and garage. In addition, pipes in your exterior walls and where the water line enters your foundation are susceptible to freezing.
Expanding ice from freezing can still cause damage even if your pipes don’t burst. Cracks and leaks in your pipes can cause considerable damage if left unchecked. Call for a professional plumbing inspection before it’s too late.
10 Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Cover your outdoor faucets with protective covers.
- Set faucets to drip water when forecasted temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees for an extended period of time.
- Insulate your pipes, especially pipes at higher risk of freezing.
- Insulate areas such as attics and crawl spaces.
- Apply weather stripping and use caulking to seal openings near your pipes.
- Keep your thermostat at 68 degrees or higher during the day and at night.
- If you plan to be away from home, keep your thermostat no lower than 55 degrees.
- Keep your garage doors closed to protect water lines.
- Open cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathroom to circulate warm air around your pipes.
- Install an automatic water shut-off device.
How to Thaw Frozen Pipes
Your pipes are frozen, now what? It’s always best to call the experts. We know how to deal with frozen pipes and water lines. We can repair the pipe leak even if you find that the leak is in the foundation of your home. You can depend on Olde Town Plumbing for fast, reliable service 24/7.
Tips for the Do-It-Yourselfer
- Apply heat to frozen pipes with an electric hair dryer or portable space heater. You can also wrap your pipes with towels soaked in hot water or wrap an electric heating pad around the pipe.
- Turn on your faucet so that the water is flowing as the water inside your pipes begins to melt. This will also help to thaw the ice in the pipe.
- DO NOT pour hot water on frozen pipes. The hot water will just freeze on the outside of the pipe adding to the problem.
- If your pipe has burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve and call Olde Town Plumbing at 830-446-5227. We offer Emergency Plumbing Services any time, day, or night.
Repairing frozen plumbing | Boerne & the Texas Hill Country
Give Us a Call
Call Olde Town Plumbing Today!
Olde Town Plumbing is the one to call in Boerne and the surrounding areas. We care about our friends and neighbors. You can trust us to give you the best plumbing service in the Hill Country. Call us today! 830-446-5227
Need a Different Plumbing Service?
Extend the life of your faucets by replacing o-rings, cartridges, and other parts that wear out.
Combat the effects of hard water and preserve the life of your plumbing with a water softener.
Achieve optimal water heater performance through regular maintenance, repair or replacement.
Prevent plumbing emergencies with proactive drain cleaning and drain line repairs or replacement.
Prevent damage to your home by eradicating leaks with flexible PEX water lines or new drain lines.
Conserve water and protect your home with reliable repairs and installation of low-flow toilets.
Enjoy the efficiency of natural gas and propane appliances with expert gas line installation and repair.
Protect your home and family with dependable sewer line inspections, repairs and replacement.
What Sets Us Apart
When you have a plumbing problem, the last thing you want is to deal with a rude service technician. We strive to provide good old-fashioned service like was common in old times. We know our customers are our Hill Country neighbors and friends, and we treat you with the kindness and respect you deserve. We really mean it when we say, “How can we help?”
We value honesty and integrity in our own lives, and we bring those values into our plumbing company as well. When you choose Olde Town Plumbing, you’re choosing plumbers who won’t try to upsell you on products or services that you don’t need. We’ll provide honest evaluations of your plumbing problems, reasonable solutions, and fair pricing for the needed for repairs.
You can count on our plumbing professionals to arrive on time and to work efficiently and competently. To keep your plumbing inconvenience minimal, we’ll give you a call when we’re headed your direction, so you know exactly when to expect us. And with our fully stock service vehicles, we won’t waste your time running back and forth to the home improvement store for parts.